AESES COVID-19 Assistance Fund Form
The COVID-19 Assistance Fund (CAF)
Given the uncertainty surrounding employment for our members and their families due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the AESES Board of Representatives established this fund to allow members to apply for assistance with their grocery needs. It has been established similarly to a Hardship Fund that would be created in the event of a strike or lockout.
All fields of this application are mandatory. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Any AESES member who has experienced a negative financial impact on his/her household income due to COVID-19 (e.g., layoff, spousal layoff, reduced hours) is eligible. Applicants may apply more than once but cannot receive benefits more than once in a two-week period.
If eligible, the applicable sum listed below will be issued via an electronic gift card* for Safeway/Sobeys (these same gift cards can also be used at FreshCo, IGA, and Foodland):
- Single person (+ up to 1 dependent) – $100.00;
- Single person (+ 2 or more dependents) – $200.00;
- Common-law/married couple (+ up to 2 dependents) – $200.00;
- Common-law/married couple (+ 3 or more dependents) – $250.00;
- Applications must be submitted electronically and will be processed once per week
- Gift card* will be e-mailed as a PDF file to the e-mail address provided (gift cards can be printed at home or shown to the cashier on your mobile device)
Please note: Effective the application week of February 26, 2021, we have transitioned away from issuing physical gift cards and will now be issuing electronic gift cards. Due to this change, we have also modified the eligible amounts available to successful applicants since electronic gift cards are only available in pre-determined amounts and cannot be customized. For more information on this change, please contact email@example.com.
* NOTE: Please be advised that the Canada Revenue Agency considers the gift cards we distribute to be a “near cash” item and, therefore, taxable income. As a result, the total amount received during a calendar year will need to be reported as other income when filing taxes.