In December 2016, AESES’ Board of Representatives approved an affiliation with the Confederation of Canadian Unions (CCU). After 43 years as an independent union with no ties or affiliations to other labour organizations, AESES realized that we were at a point in time where we could no longer remain independent and survive in the current political climate and the increasing corporatization of our universities.
With the CCU we are able to retain our autonomy and not be directed as to how we choose to run our union, while still being able to connect with other independent unions across Canada. We can learn from their experiences and share our own, stand united together as a national body to lobby against federal and provincial legislation meant to target and attack unions, educate our membership on the value of unions, and so much more.
- CCU Endorses the Recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. April 25, 2018
- Letter from CCU President Kelly Johnson to BC’s Premier John Horgan, regarding the protection of BC forests, jobs and First Nations communities. February 6, 2018 (PDF)
- Letter from CCU President Kelly Johnson to BC’s Premier John Horgan, urging him to follow through on his May 2017 campaign promise to raise the minimum wage to $15. January 24, 2018 (PDF)
- Letter from PPWC National President Arnold Bercov. In it he addresses Job Losses, Environmental Sustainability and First Nations Rights. January 23, 2018 (webpage)
- Letter from CCU President Kelly Johnson to Restaurant Brands International, the owners of Tim Horton’s, about the responses of several franchise owners to the recent increases in the minimum wage in the provinces of Ontario and Alberta. January 22, 2018 (PDF)
- Letter from CCU President Kelly Johnson to Alberta’s Premier Rachel Notley, congratulating her on their increase of the minimum wage. January 17, 2018 (PDF)
- Letter from CCU President Kelly Johnson to Ontario’s Premier Kathleen Wynne, congratulating her on their increase of the minimum wage. January 17, 2018 (PDF)
- 2017 CCU Convention Report from President Kelly Johnson. December 2017 (PDF)